Wednesday, April 16, 2008

DC Pope Watch '08

The Pope Mobile route was only a block from my office, so I had to go out and check it out. I've been to lots of DC events, and I have to say that this experience wasn't what I expected. Everyone was happy, groups of people were singing and playing drums and dancing. There were families, church groups from all over the East coast, and of course lots of office workers like me. All the windows, balcanies and rooftops were filled with people. I didn't see a single protester (so unlike DC!), and it sounds corny, but it was a really joyous atmosphere.


Here's what the scene looked like from my spot -- the crowds were about 10-people deep (but no one pushed). The guys in the street are Secret Service.

Here he comes!

The world-famous Pope Mobile. People went crazy with excitement. Some people ran along the sidewalk so they could follow the him down the street.

After the Pope went by, people stayed in the street celebrating. These guys stopped so I could take their picture. There were holding Bibles open as they walked down the street.

You don't see signs like this in DC very often.

A group of strolling musicians, signing and playing as they walked down Penn. Ave.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!