Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy 200th, Abe!

Today is Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday, so I decided to visit to my favorite memorial. I love this memorial for it's size, beauty, grandeur, and let's face it -- without Lincoln who knows what would have become of the USA?

It's a beautiful day here in the District -- the perfect day for a lunchtime walk. (The memorial is only a 15 minute walk from my office.)

There was a wreath-laying ceremony this morning, with about 30 wreaths surrounding his statue. The interior of the memorial was pretty full of people, including a Park Ranger giving a very passionate presentation. Mingling around the crowd, I could hear many languages being spoken -- it's great to know that people from all over the world appreciate our memorials.

Someone had left this mini birthday cake on the steps in front of the statue.

Happy Birthday, Mr. President!

No comments: